TTHW Cube Puzzle

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

TTHW Cube Puzzle

Postby Greatchickenman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:24 pm

ZOMGWTF HELPZ0RZ

Edit: My above post was very uninformative. I'm having trouble solving the puzzle in the cultist room. It contains a square with 4 colors. These need to be arranged by stepping through four doors and rotating the panels.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:24 am

oh, where'd you get your RTP pack?
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby AznChipmunk » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:55 pm

Yeah, I kinda need help with this too.
AznChipmunk
S2 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:09 pm

i solved that along time ago, i had the solution written down too, its pretty evil. I dont think i have it anymore, ill have to look again. You get Vance's best weapon, so its worth it though.

EDIT: Ok, i got this far:

RRRR
BBBG
GGGB
YYYY

anyone know how how to flip those last two?
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:59 pm

I solve the puzzle by pressing "F9" in test play mode and turning switch 708 on.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Fitz Tayo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:16 am

EmperorJeramyu wrote:I solve the puzzle by pressing "F9" in test play mode and turning switch 708 on.

Just. Hah.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:23 pm

but that defeats the purpose. That and the old computer I used to play it on wasnt good enough to even open TTHW in rm2k.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:34 pm

Yeah, I just did it Jaramyu's way.

Now I feel dirty...
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Teenr0cker » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:57 pm

Sage, even if we gave subtle hints concerning his situation via haiku hints, it wouldn't matter. Going to a forum is getting outside help, so, as he just proved, he accepted outside help and applied it to the game. It's why people go to help forums. They want results, but theres another god damn switch puzzle right before the cutscene of EPIC PROPORTIONS!!!
Sage Of The Wise wrote:This sounds like the beginning of a sitcom. Think about it: "Coming this fall to Fox, Ralphie and the Hooker".
Teenr0cker
S2 Deralyn

Postby Violent_Paradan » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:35 am

Switch 708, eh? I'll have to remember that when I hax0r my way through. Such an evilly designed game, I'm torn between praising Iishenron and cursing him.
Violent_Paradan
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:03 pm

I praise him for making the game, but curse him for coding it in the most convoluted way possible. He even deleted switch and variable names. Its like rm2k3's search function was made entirely for use with that game.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:02 am

I just decided to look through the maps for about three minutes until I came across the room with the cube puzzle. Then I double clicked the door on the top realizing that activating switch 708 unlocked the door and the exit and some other switch,(like 716 or something) leaves it locked, whilst the exit is open.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Postby Victor » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:23 pm

What I most hated about the puzzle was the fact that the choice of which row/column could be switched was chosen randomly whenever you moved. This made it nearly impossible for me to try to solve it because whenever I wanted to try something I often ended up losing my patience and just accepting whatever was chosen after a couple of tries, so I ended up just wasting a lot of time going nowhere.

Then I tried doing the same thing by hand on paper, such as figuring out the combination to transpose two adjacent tiles while keeping the rest intact. (I also tried a few short unsuccessful things for a bit)

Eventually I reached that conclusion that if I was going to put any effort into a brute force method, it should be be reasonably efficient. So I wrote a script in Python, and after figuring out a decent implementation of the algorithm, I finally solved it after only a few days of working on it. :P (For the record, I only dabble in programming every now and then, so while I know quite a bit, I lack much actual experience.)

This is the guaranteed shortest solution -- though in retrospect not necessarily the fastest because of the random element with the switching part.

Just in case someone doesn't want it spoiled or whatever; highlight this to see it: switch top, switch left, switch right, move up, switch right, move right, switch bottom, switch right, move down, switch top, switch bottom, switch left
Victor
Plyn

Postby Impossible » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:32 pm

I cheated in RM2K to open one of the two doors in that arrow puzzle room in E6, so I'm not against it. >_> Hey, to be fair, it was insanely hard and there's no real way to work out how to do it. And I DID open one of them by myself.

*Makes a mental note of switch 708, just in case*
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Return to Gaming