WoW anybody?

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Sarcasm » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:53 pm

Bah, games involving real skill will have no silly things like "drawing aggro", Monsters/enemies will ALWAYS go for the weak link in the party and gang rape him/her if the party is not using tactics and the terrain to its advantage... MMORPGs are mistaken for difficult these days... In Everquest you could mistakenly step into lava... BAM, permanent death, No more character. Unless you get extremely lucky and someone finds out the damn specific lava pit where you died, And its kind of hard given the fact there were more lava pits then healers of a high enough level to raise you from one.. World of Warcraft is just long and tedious, Not hard.
Like nearly every game in this age..

And no, Even in Everquest, you didn't really need much skill.. At least what true skill was called back then..
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby HolsteinCow » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:13 pm

Poenaensis wrote:WoW is amazing. Yes you can level quickly by beating the Crap out of monsters, but you'll be rubbish for your level and will get no enjoyment from the game. If you take leveling at a steady pace and join a fun guild, you can have fun just chatting whilst doing the more boring leveling.

So this 'feature' is completely unique to WoW?
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio)
HolsteinCow
S5 Hilyn

Postby _MurtagH_ » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:41 pm

point is i was a 54 mage taking on a 60 paladin. paladins and shamans are the most overpowered classes. full stop. end of. make a char and come and beat me in a duel then i'll believe tht there's no skill involved in WoW :P and it's not a one off either ... pvpers do require skill as they have to be at the top of their game to beat other players in the same position as themselves. as for this 'donating to the game' i'm not quite sure wot u mean, but i've never donated to the game to gain stats... tht's impossible and stupid. yes u can level quickly but then u won't know how to play ur class. there are so many different paths u can take it's impossible not to use some skill.

I see tho tht some ppl just aren't fans of MMORPGs and tht's fine... i like a good arguement ;) i personally like MMORPGs cos of the interaction with other players - real people - unlike normal rpgs which u tend to undertake on ur own. i like "the way" tho, it's orignial.
_MurtagH_
Plyn

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:08 am

Heh, In Neverwinter Nights an online battle between two factions would take over 2 hours at the least. A game where a duel takes less then 10 minutes is not a game of skill.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Poenaensis » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:54 am

Bah humbug,

Let's face it we've got a massive difference of opinion, that's never going to change. But there are some facts:

Yes it's possible to play WoW just by spening a lot of time on it. It is also possible, if you are a better player to get from 1 to 60 in about 7 days play time. Since the average is 15 days there is clearly a difference in skill somewhere.

Yes WoW is not difficult, if you are a sheep and just follow predetermined routes and only go to new, harder places when NPC's tell you to.

Still, I accept WoW isn't the hardest game ever, but so what, it is fun. Saying you only like really hard games is like saying you only read Chauser's Canterbury Tales. Sophisticated, and really good for it's type, but hard to read. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy an easily read book.

Finally, Sarcasm, I don't mind you making a point, that's what this is about. At least I'm trying to be balanced, not taking baseless data to make my point. Quick duels between players are just meant to be short tests. Quick battles between factions only occur when the horde waste the alliance. But hang on, cheers for that because it's a good point: Horde waste alliance because they are BETTER organised and therefore MORE SKILLFUL. :wink: Actually a typical battle between two balanced sides takes 45min to an hour. Not as long as Neverwinter Nights maybye, but not everyone in the world has that much time to do gaming. Some people have commitments and, heaven forbid, lives outside the games that they play. Blizzard are just making their game accesible to all, to make more sales and more money, which is pretty sensible.

P.S many of the raids on WoW do take about 5 hours on average. The latest content patch about a fortnight ago has a thing the entire server takes part in. Even the most advanced servers only have completed 35%.
"Mum, Grandad says he cant get his bottom set of false teeth out."

"Don, are you all right?"

"I can't get my teeth out"

"that's cause they're real"
-----------------------------------------

Grandad's mind gave up on boxing day, to late to get him new one for Christmas, he'll have to wait till his birthday now.
Poenaensis
S2 Hilyn

Postby _MurtagH_ » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:16 am

yes exactly. if u have a life and do have other commitments then u can play on the game and get to 60 within... 2-3 months? maybe a bit more. then u could go to a few instance kick some butt hopefully get some decent armour. then if u don't have a life and have tons of time to spend playing the game u could take part in a 40 man group and take on the hardest dungeons in the game and get eventually amazing armour - the best in the game. and, well lets be honest, if ur a pvpers it's virtually impossible to have no skill. i've personally been to raids on XR (a minor raid) tht lasted for 3 and a half hours. imagine how long a large raid would last say to Orgrimmar. maybe 5-6 hours? tht's for dedicated players tho. so u see? WoW is available for normal players, dedicated players, and obsessed players. if u think tht's an easy game then u obviously don't know anything about the capabilities of WoW. maybe u experienced a lvl 10 warrior's outlook on the world lol. try a lvl 60 in BWL. then tell me it's an easy game
Quotes the awesome guild:
"I'm off to eat people" think about it...
"You suck so hard tht it hurts!" he meant the guy sucked at doing something not him :P... "I'm off to solo BWL" u don't play WoW?? burn infidel! (he actually tried to solo it!)
_MurtagH_
Plyn

Postby Lokronamus » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:34 am

well i dont play WoW or 2d games. But tbh i no which one id choose. 2D games smell like my dog. OOOOO YAY a plot and 2d square pixelated graphics :D :D i want one of them soooooo badly because they are like properly amazing. Lets go back in time and play a dated game which has a plot. NO LETS NOT. Go play a game with good graphix and a decent plot e.g. Guild Wars or WoW. Ye 2d games are often made by one person alone and that is an extremely great feat. But tbh lets move forward not backwards
Lokronamus
Wanderer

Postby Roman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:06 pm

_MurtagH_ wrote:yes exactly. if u have a life and do have other commitments then u can play on the game and get to 60 within... 2-3 months? maybe a bit more. then u could go to a few instance kick some butt hopefully get some decent armour. then if u don't have a life and have tons of time to spend playing the game u could take part in a 40 man group and take on the hardest dungeons in the game and get eventually amazing armour - the best in the game. and, well lets be honest, if ur a pvpers it's virtually impossible to have no skill. i've personally been to raids on XR (a minor raid) tht lasted for 3 and a half hours. imagine how long a large raid would last say to Orgrimmar. maybe 5-6 hours? tht's for dedicated players tho. so u see? WoW is available for normal players, dedicated players, and obsessed players. if u think tht's an easy game then u obviously don't know anything about the capabilities of WoW. maybe u experienced a lvl 10 warrior's outlook on the world lol. try a lvl 60 in BWL. then tell me it's an easy game

Though I play WoW, horde side on Silvermoon, there is no denying that gear > skill > spec. Also, PvP rank only requires time spent in BGs... not skill. There was a player on our server that is constantly chastised for using a bot to keep him joining games and not going afk (he made grand marshal). MC and BWL require strategy... but not too much skill. Instead, it requires time and organization/communication.

WoW is still fun for me... there are challenges that are quite "hard" for my gear yet... but nothing beats a great story... and that's why I love The Way =)
Roman
Independent

Postby Sarcasm » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:51 pm

Lokronamus wrote:well i dont play WoW or 2d games. But tbh i no which one id choose. 2D games smell like my dog. OOOOO YAY a plot and 2d square pixelated graphics :D :D i want one of them soooooo badly because they are like properly amazing. Lets go back in time and play a dated game which has a plot. NO LETS NOT. Go play a game with good graphix and a decent plot e.g. Guild Wars or WoW. Ye 2d games are often made by one person alone and that is an extremely great feat. But tbh lets move forward not backwards

And you are, My friend, The classical definition of a Connan wannabe.

Roman: I completely agree with you, This is another reason I like Neverwinter Nights so much.. Online, Anyway.. It has Roleplaying, PvP, Great wars. (Well, Not as big as a MMO's, Admittedly.) The awesomest boss fights.. (Fuck, Nukpyreekosh took us over an hour to take down..)
All that asuming you are playing in a decent server, that is.

Poenaensis: I can understand the appeal in World of Warcraft, But for my taste, At least, It is too easy, Then again most games are too easy for me. (Hardcore all the way, hehehe) One thing that turned me off is the extremely limited number of possible builds, I got too used to Neverwinter Nights, Where you could take any number of levels in up to 3 classes..
There were, literally, thousands of builds with radically different results. I even made up one.. (The Rez Monkey... 20cleric20druid... 50 back to full health spells per a day.. 9 rez's per a day. tons of buffs, Zen Archery for support and Dragon Shape)
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Takarious » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:10 pm

Speak for yourselves you fucking noobs. You all quibble over "PvP" while bashing the PvE environments? I seriously doubt any of you has even touched WoW's end game content. Go build a guild and down Nef, then come back and tell me the game is "shallow".
Takarious
S3 Hilyn

Postby Telephalsion » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:17 pm

WoW is a friggin world, my brother recently purchased it, he's risen in levels fast, even considering he manges to hold a real life on the side too :P And he comes to me now and then and tells me of the stories he's heard, like about that Dragon... Onyx, that only like two parties ever have managed to defeat. And how he'll get this and that skill at this and that level of course :P
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Poenaensis » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:01 am

He He we're getting reinforcements!!!

Yes, I don't know about other games, but WoW is huge, simply massive and if people find it too easy, fair enough,that doesn't make it a bad game.

If someone forces me to make another comparison, it's going to include Handel and Mozart.

You have been warned.
:twisted:
"Mum, Grandad says he cant get his bottom set of false teeth out."

"Don, are you all right?"

"I can't get my teeth out"

"that's cause they're real"
-----------------------------------------

Grandad's mind gave up on boxing day, to late to get him new one for Christmas, he'll have to wait till his birthday now.
Poenaensis
S2 Hilyn

Postby _MurtagH_ » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:14 pm

THE POINT OF THIS TOPIC GUYS WAS TO SEE IF ANYBODY HERE PLAYED ON WOW. SO FAR ALL THERE'S BEEN IS WHINGING AND MOANING. SO ONCE AGAIN, DO ANY OF YOU PLAY ON WOW? IF SO WHAT SERVER/CLASS/RACE?

THANK YOU!

_MurtagH_ /out
"You suck so hard tht it hurts!" he meant the guy sucked at doing something not him :P... "I'm off to solo BWL" u don't play WoW?? burn infidel! (he actually tried to solo it!)
_MurtagH_
Plyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:03 pm

I'd have thought it obvious the whinning and moaning indicated there was a lack of people playing WoW.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby _MurtagH_ » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:13 pm

Well then fitz you obviously missed the few guys who mentioned WoW content :) it's an honest mistake to make. i however did notice people saying they play on it and people saying they have relatives on it etc :)
_MurtagH_
Plyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming