In a moment of semi-serious reflection...

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

In a moment of semi-serious reflection...

Postby Requiem » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:00 pm

I was browsing through my music folders until I decidely turned to The Way for its fine selection of midi soundtracks. Periodically flipping through the songs, one after the other, just allowing myself to absorb the melodies, I was filled with a peculiarly sense of melancholy that I had not expected to feel. Each chord seemed to evoke treasured memories of the game itself and caused to me realize once more what a phenomenal piece of work The Way really was and still is. Yet still that odd feeling tugged at me.

It was, as I came to understand, lament not just for the ending of this particular chapter of the series, but a genuine fear that something of this quality might never be produced again. The Way was, in my personal opinion, perfection of presentation. The gameplay, its challenges and functioning, were unique and superb. The song choice was always appropriate and drew upon the right emotions at just the right time. The story line was one of a kind, and will be in my memory forever.

So now, having tasted such quality, I worry that nothing similar will ever be had again. Watching the times around me, with the advent of Reality Television and other such cheap thrills, I have a creeping phobia that story-tellers are a dying race. It's a terrible thought and perhaps an irrational fear, but certainly a frightening possibility.

For now, though it has been said many times before, I'll thank Lun for all he's given the world in what may seem like such a simple package. For us honored few who have experienced The Way in its entirety, for those who have followed its development and maturation over these many years, we carry an awesome debt to you. Your genius has kept this world a brighter place in my eyes.

And there you go. Just felt like something I had to say. A Time and A Place always gets me all worked up.
Last edited by Requiem on Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Momento mori.
Requiem
Plyn

Postby Sling » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:07 pm

Yes, A time and a place is a bloody excellent song and the mp3 version is top quality as well.

I'm not sure if Lun is not continuing The Way, he said he's currently working on a project, but what this entails I am unsure of, he could just be referring to the updated versions, I don't know.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:41 pm

I completely agree, The Way is a true master peice. I think it should be up there together with Dante's Divine Comedy.

And yes, A Time and a Place is a completely brilliant piece.
1,000,000,672+1D4 Bludgeoning to the face, bitch!
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Sentinel » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:36 pm

I don't know why A Time And A Place is so popular, I mean it's great and all, but I always thought the opening song was the best.

I mean talk about fitting for those monologues.
Sentinel
Plyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:04 pm

I don't know why A Time And A Place is so popular, I mean it's great and all, but I always thought the opening song was the best.

I liked freedom more than A time and Place too, but I think it has a lot to do with A Time and Place being a custom song by Lun, unlike Freedom.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby PsychicK » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:19 pm

Indeed, "The Way" is one of a kind. I'm having this feeling my self, whenever I tell my friends about "The Way", that it is simply superior above nearly any book I've ever read, or any movie/TV series I've ever watched. Why? Because of, above all, the story...

I don't know the songs by their names. I'm too lazy to download and install The Way again, so I'll check them out after the updated "The Way" is released.
Don't argue with an idiot because he will bring you down to his level and beat you on experience.
PsychicK
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sarcasm » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:53 am

Sage Of The Wise wrote:

I liked freedom more than A time and Place too, but I think it has a lot to do with A Time and Place being a custom song by Lun, unlike Freedom.

Well, A Time and A Place is "The Way"'s theme song, too.
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:05 am

A Time and A Place is good. But who said the MP3 was top quality? Sorry, but it infact poor quality and would not compare to an MP3 format of the MIDI (Quality-wise). Unless there's an MP3 I've missed.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sentinel » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:57 am

Now see, there's something I didn't know until now. Ah, I wish it had been a custom song by Lun, but whatever. A Time and A Place is still pretty good.
Sentinel
Plyn

Postby Stedar » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:45 pm

Lun better take the way to the gameboy, xbox, ps2 *3*, and more others, i'm sure it'd be a player's choice and a best seller,

anyway i'm gonna try to do this with my series.
Stedar
S2 Hilyn

Postby BustroQuick » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:02 pm

I like Sacrifa's theme the best, closely followed by End Of The Way.

On the topic of The Way's design, I think it will be perfect once the polished versions are released (Episode 1 was a bit iffy with those message based plunge-numbers :wink: )

As for being transferred to other platforms, I think it'd be a great idea, if Lun could pull it off. I doubt he'd be able to keep the same graphic style though.
BustroQuick
Plyn

Postby Elachim » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:12 pm

The E6 songs are just so ... emotional. It's wonderful. But "A Time and a Place" is the best. Ever. Could someone post a link to the mp3?
Thinks he knows more about the Plunge than you.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Postby Naitius » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:20 pm

http://theway.whahay.net/note.html
There are two i think. One by Luhney and another by The Pontifex Maximus Tetzel Experience.
Naitius
Wanderer

Postby Sling » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:54 pm

Both MP3's are in the Fan Feature section.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sarcasm » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:18 am

The second one rocks, the first one sucks
Sarcasm
S1 Corlyn

Next

Return to Estrana