Two recent and urgent questions...

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Two recent and urgent questions...

Postby Stedar » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:36 pm

Hey, I have two questions for lun and or the crestfallen community.

1. Why aren't ALL the new faces in the updated versions??
Like Velicia's, medmur's, etc..??

2. Lun, i was wondering if i could use some of the new faces from the way for my game- like medmur, i used an updated sprite of that character in my game- mob already ok-ed it but wanted me to ask. *you're in credz*
Stedar
S2 Hilyn

Postby SeeK » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:10 pm

I have a question as well.

Did he change/enhance the music, or does it sound different because I bought an X-Fi since my last playthrough?
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change" ~ Charles Darwin

"War is not for the faint hearted, but when you have no heart it's easy!" ~ NetWiz, DS Clan (Half-Life 2: DM)
SeeK
Plyn

Re: Two recent and urgent questions...

Postby Fitz Tayo » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 pm

Stedar wrote:Hey, I have two questions for lun and or the crestfallen community.

2. Lun, i was wondering if i could use some of the new faces from the way for my game- like medmur, i used an updated sprite of that character in my game- mob already ok-ed it but wanted me to ask. *you're in credz*

How are these urgent?

1. If I recall, Velicia's AND Medmur's were both in the updated versions. I've noted occasional lines of dialogue that didn't include them, but I nail that down to a lack of a face (e.g. Cade's face when he goes nuts in Jopaga's lab doesn't include one, but looking at the sprites face it probably wasn't included). If you mean unimportant NPCs, then who the hell cares, they're NPCs whom you'll never see again. And if you mean important NPCs, then are you sure you're playing the correct version?

2. Best to e-mail Lun with this matter. Notice you saw Medmur's face, in which case, what did you mean with the vague example in Question 1?
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Ovenhole » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:47 am

SeeK wrote:I have a question as well.

Did he change/enhance the music, or does it sound different because I bought an X-Fi since my last playthrough?

The music doesn't sound different to me, so it's most likely your new sound card. Midis tend to sound completely different then.
"Give a man a fire and keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life." (Terry Pratchett)
Ovenhole
S1 Hilyn

Postby SeeK » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:38 am

Ovenhole wrote:
SeeK wrote:I have a question as well.

The music doesn't sound different to me, so it's most likely your new sound card. Midis tend to sound completely different then.

Okay. I'm not sure I'm happy with it, though... some of them sound better, but others, like Lexus, End of the Way, Cawry and some others, sound messed up. Guess there's not much I can do about it, though.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change" ~ Charles Darwin

"War is not for the faint hearted, but when you have no heart it's easy!" ~ NetWiz, DS Clan (Half-Life 2: DM)
SeeK
Plyn

Re: Two recent and urgent questions...

Postby Stedar » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:18 am

Fitz Tayo wrote:
Stedar wrote:Hey, I have two questions for lun and or the crestfallen community.

How are these urgent?

1. If I recall, Velicia's AND Medmur's were both in the updated versions. I've noted occasional lines of dialogue that didn't include them, but I nail that down to a lack of a face (e.g. Cade's face when he goes nuts in Jopaga's lab doesn't include one, but looking at the sprites face it probably wasn't included). If you mean unimportant NPCs, then who the hell cares, they're NPCs whom you'll never see again. And if you mean important NPCs, then are you sure you're playing the correct version?

2. Best to e-mail Lun with this matter. Notice you saw Medmur's face, in which case, what did you mean with the vague example in Question 1?

Sorry if i typed it incorrectly, what i meant was, why aren't all of the faces in each game?? i know because they werent used, but i would have still put them all in each game for a full collection.

P.s. it was urgent 'cause the day it came out i was wondering.
Stedar
S2 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:05 am

I'm thinking it's to reduce file size mainly. If you want a complete collection, it's most likely to be in the Episode 6 Folder. I think Lun keeps resources from the previous episodes, I assume it can only be for ease of use and to prevent those annoying "So-and-so resource could not be found" error messages, but I dunno.
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Elachim » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:29 pm

About the midis: Yes, it's your soundcard. Why? I was playing on an old PC before we got this one and when I brought the way over here, the midis sound completely different. Also midis are a bit buggy sometimes, it seems they particularly like to change every intrument to your generic piano at random times and sometimes will play one of the channels a half-step low or high. Annoying to hear a discordant squelching when you enter a plunge. And then it'll randomly go back to normal later. Also midis never seem to get played the same by different programs - I opened up one of the Way's tracks in a midi editor and there was no sound at all. Really strange stuff.
Thinks he knows more about the Plunge than you.
Elachim
S2 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:40 pm

The sound output from the computer for a MIDI is a single channel. As in if you have anything that has run recently or is running MIDI (even paused) other MIDI files will play silently. I've found that Old Soundcards seem to have completely differant MIDI settings. Or at least how I find it. And RM2k is known for being a bitch with MIDIs. There's the de-tune thing that detunes certain tracks, but only certain, so instead of a slightly funky sounding The Way with music in the wierd Earthboundy style, we get some decent tracks, and some anal ones. I think there was a patch for that. Usually I just mute the ol' MIDI anyway and put on some jammin' tunes, merhaps a collection of MP3s of the MIDIs from whichever game.

For example, my OLD computer (It ran Windows 95) had a sound card which seemed to love MIDI. That or the computer was so damn old it didn't meet the same MIDI definitions. Nowerdays all MIDI Instruments are set to numbers, so Instrument 1: Grand Piano will always be Instrument 1: Grand Piano on any other software, though I think it's unlikely to have been that, seeing as it improved MIDI quality and not varied instruments)

I think it was because most computer music was probably MIDI back then and they all this "Computer stuffed with MP3s" didn't seem to be around. Though I wouldn't trust my word for it.
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Return to Estrana