Walking the Way backwards

A moderated forum to discuss topics surrounding the Way series

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Postby Wellsy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:57 am

Allow me to translate the horrible typing:

Basically they've (by they I mean the astronomical community) determined that everything is flying away from each other at the same velocity (or at least away from Earth at the same velocity).

A Big Crunch, like Bluefire is talking about, would have to mean that everything would eventually slow down and start collapsing in on itself, eventually resulting in a titanic smash of all matter into a single point (sounds like the precursor of another Big Bang, huh?)

Unfortunately, THEY have determined the velocity to be such that everything is moving away from each other too fast to ever slow down and collapse. So everything keeps expanding, until the space between galaxies becomes too great and they sputter out one by one as the stars within each eventually run out of fuel, and the universe becomes a uniformly cold and lifeless vacuum.

Just a theory, of course. Fwacho's right, science likes to present things as fact only to prove itself wrong later. But it is kind of sad to think about - that all that we look upon in the night ends not with a bang, but with a whimper.
Wellsy
S5 Hilyn

Postby Kyle » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:50 pm

I actually don't belief nature, or the cosmos as you could call it, would never allow itself to die. That's not truly a scientific belief I have have, but rather that if it's all been going on for so long, I'm sure whatever has set this in motion in the first place wil keep it going forever.
Kyle
S3 Hilyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:48 pm

However such a wimper may indeed be what started the universe we know and love today. All life is cyclical, every single trend in nature, space-related or otherwise supports this.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby is » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:43 pm

All life is cyclical, every single trend in nature, space-related or otherwise supports this.

Not quite. Many things are cyclical, but...

Egg hatches chick, grows into chicken and lays egg...
Only occurs with energy input from the sun. Which has a finite lifetime.

Also: there's more ways for something to be ordered than chaotic. Therefore it's likely that an ordered system will break down (eg window breaks, ice cube melts), but highly unlikely for order to arise out of a chaotic system. (It is possible for water to spontaneously form again into ice, if the random movements of molecules all happen to drift together simultaneously. Wait about a 100 trillion years. And the random movements of molecules (heat) in a solid object may someday all happen to be in the same direction, and the object will fly into the air.)

All complex systems in the universe will eventually break down into their constituent particles. Every energy transfer involves some energy being lost at heat, which is really just movement too random to be useful. The heat death of the universe will involve a randomly seething mass of elementary particles, with occasional order arising by random chance.

An interesting point: All observation seems to be that the universe is moving from a state of low entropy (order) to high entropy (chaos). However, it should not be this time assymetrical. Instead, we would expect to see a mean level of entropy with small statistical fluctuations. Instead, we are in a universe of (relatively) low entropy, high order, that is increasing in entropy as we go forward in time. There must have been less entropy in the past, perhaps at one point, zero entropy. But what caused this state?
Friedrich Nietzche wrote:Oh God, oh God, O - M - F - G!
is
Wanderer

Postby Masked Gamer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:23 pm

Technically speaking, a chicken hatching is not a trend, it is a single, isolated incident. Any thing that could be continuously measured, without break is a trend. As in, the amount of eggs chickens hatch per year likely moves in some sort of trend.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Energy

Postby Zidjian » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:04 pm

yeah the sun gives off energy and the earth absorbs it. We dont know what happens to energy as it leaves earth, for all we know the energy could recycle itself forever
Zidjian
Wanderer

Postby aarn321 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Rhue cannot go backwards on the way. Everything that falls back towards the end of The Way gets eaten by the Langoliers.
aarn321
Plyn

Postby War » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:33 pm

Actually everything is move faster away from itself. There is something, they believe to be, called Dark Energy that is pushing everything else away.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Re: Walking the Way backwards

Postby Toolophile » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:51 am

Spinxa wrote:?

If you buy into the whole "Circular Way" theory, the begining of the way would be right across the river...
Toolophile
Plyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:46 pm

If you buy into the whole "Circular Way" theory, the begining of the way would be right across the river...

Actually, if you buy into the whole "Circular Way" theory, there wouldn't be a beginning of the Way.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby Toolophile » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:00 pm

Masked Gamer wrote:

Actually, if you buy into the whole "Circular Way" theory, there wouldn't be a beginning of the Way.

Either or.. either there is no begining or end, or the begining and end are right next to each other
Toolophile
Plyn

Postby Angel_OA » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:18 pm

There's actually no real evidence that there are such things as the rolling mists. Some guy in the house of Pnoe gives a vague description I know. But even if the mists are a fabrication of lies...why? What does someone have to hide? The shadow swords maybe?
Angel_OA
S3 Hilyn

Postby dyyhpys » Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:30 pm

Are there two ends of the Way: one at the start and the other at the beginning?

They are exactly the same place, they are just seperated by a metre of mist thats all. Like the mist in WoT it kills people who try to pass tought it.
Well kind of like the mist in WoT
ALAN: Badgering? I never mentioned
a badger. I'm talking about kitty
kats.
dyyhpys
S1 Hilyn

Postby Masked Gamer » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:36 am

I don't think so, then people would definetly know The Way was circular because almost ALL of the Way was exposed at one time and the fact that the mists move would be totally useless.
Masked Gamer
S2 Hilyn

Postby dyyhpys » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:32 am

But the way would be long enough so people don't notice, so it would take you many many many years. And what is the life expendency for an average wanderer, it would have to be longer than that,
ALAN: Badgering? I never mentioned
a badger. I'm talking about kitty
kats.
dyyhpys
S1 Hilyn

PreviousNext

Return to Estrana