What Guitar should I save up and buy?

Home of the Crestfallen Few. Chat about whatever you like.

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster
25%
Gibson Les Paul Standard
50%
Customised Malmsteen Stratocaster
25%
Customised Les Paul
No votes

Total votes : 4

Postby Sling » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:50 pm

Well? I'm very indecisive and never go ahead with anything without a second opinion so I need suggestions.

Here are the choices: - A Malmsteen Stratocaster.Here are the specs.
Gibson Les Paul.

Or should I got to a custom guitar builder and get them to make a guitar for me (it ishard to find a guitar builder and would be rather expensive).
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Spinxa » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:04 am

Man, I wouldn't know about getting a custom builder; its probably not the wiasest descision unless you're in a band that's starting to get some attention and can afford to take a gamble.

I'm no expert in buying guitars but i know that the Gibson Les Paul is obviously a very safe choice because you know you'll get quality if you go with it (going on how many famous guitarists use them).

But if you want to emulate Malmsteen's sound the Stratocaster may be a good idea.

Peronsally, I'd go with the Gibson Les Paul but that's just me.
ImageImageImage
Spinxa
Plyn

Postby avatarmonkeykirby » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:10 am

Ditto.
True love lies in complete adherence to Newton's third law.
S1 Hilyn

Postby Telephalsion » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:35 am

Gibson X-plorer sg wireless gh2 controller?
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:38 pm

The Malmsteen Signature Strat is £1059 whilst the Slash Signature Les Paul is £2599, I don't think I'll bother going custom becuase I can get a good 24-fret 7 string guitar for less £500. My plan is to go to Platform One Music College, form a band, write some epic shredding masterpieces, get good enough to perform at the IOW festival, put on a goode show, hopefully get noticed by a talent scout. It's happened with bands before... Anywho, I think I'll go for the Malmsteen Stratocaster first then try and save up for a Les Paul. I need to buy a gig amp (50 watts plus) and some effectd pedals. If I bought both the Strat and Les Paul, got the 7-string 24-fret Ibanez, all the pedals and amplication I needed, it would rack up to £4728 including VAT and delivery. I managed to write an awesome song the other day, it's still only half song with no lyrics but it's rather good.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby War » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:14 pm

The Strat is always going to do you good.

But have you ever looked at getting a Variax? These guitars can produce the sounds of 25 different guitars flawlessly. My dad has one of them and its awesome.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:29 pm

If I ever get enough money (and in a succesful band) I am planning on getting a triple neck Ibanez JEM conisting of a 12-String, a 7-String and a fretless 6-string w/Sustainer at some point in the future. As for now, I'll the get the Strat first...
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:42 pm

I recently found a good custom guitar maker in the UK who has made some really good guitars from what I saw. I e-mailed the guy the specs and said it was an interesting but unusual project but due to the high specs would cost around £1800.

Basically, I was thinking, A Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Stratocaster but with a Les Paul Carved Top Body and the peghead/headstock of a Jackson, but with 24 frets and 7-strings.

Basically: -
Body: Carved Top Les Paul Body, Flame Maple Top, Mahogany Back
Colour: Black
Fingerboard: Scalloped Maple Fingerboard
Inlays: Trapezoid
Peghead: Jackson style Peghead
Frets: 24 Dunlop 6000 Super-Jumbo frets
Pickups: 2 DiMarzio YJM Pickups (Neck & Middle) and 1 DiMazio HS-3 Stack
(Bridge)
Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. No-Load Tone Control (Neck Pickup), Tone 2.
No-Load Tone Control (Bridge and Middle Pickups)
Pickup Switching: 3-position blade, position 1. Bridge Pickup, position 2.
Middle Pickup, Position 3. Neck Pickup
Bridge: Either American Vintage Synchronised Tremelo or the Tune-o-matic
Machine Heads: Fender/Schaller Vintage 'F' Style Tuning Machines
Extras: Bullet Truss Rod Nut, Brass Nut, Machine Screw Neck Mounting
Inserts, Dunlop 6000 Jumbo Fretwire

So what do you think?
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Forerunner » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:45 pm

I think you should get a red 1961 Gibson EB-0.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:27 am

Forerunner wrote:I think you should get a red 1961 Gibson EB-0.
But that's a bass guitar...
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Telephalsion » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:36 am

Double necked Gibson SG.
Greatchickenman wrote:I'm up for any type of female at least once.

Any type of female.
Telephalsion
S4 Deralyn

Postby Glenn47 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:37 pm

I have a variax. It's really nice, it imitates the sounds of many classic guitars (plus has an acoustic and 12-string acoustic setting!) and is definitely worth the buy. Downside- a plugin that requires an extra outlet that you can't use the guitar without. Sadly, I lost my plugin. But that's a small downside anyway. Also, you can go online with it and reprogram where the pickups would be (for different sound obviously) and get alternate tunings with the flick of a switch on the guitar.
The only thing about it though is that you could probably buy a nice guitar and a pod and get the same effects, except then it has a wawa pedal and an reverb, which I've yet to get on an amp (sigh).
Gil212 wrote:ps. I'm a girl btw
^_^
Glenn47
S1 Corlyn

Postby Greatchickenman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:36 am

Get Garage Band for Macintosh and and a keyboard/guitar-to computer translator, then completely change the way your guitar sounds through Garage Band.
Greatchickenman
S4 Corlyn

Return to The Scratch Wall