DS Topic

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

DS Topic

Postby Fitz Tayo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:02 pm

Recently I have gotten myself a job. As such, I now have a DS, with Zelda, FFIII, and Pokemon Pearl. To be expanded later on obviously.

The purpose of this topic is for other people with DS's across the globe to do all that online nonsense with one another. Plus if anybody can recomend some decent games, I'm looking for decent one's involving the touch screen (not just mini-games like Wario-ware) and some decent RPGs or action games. I'm going to get Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, the Mana games and some others I can't recall at this point in time.

I realize there was already a DS topic. And I was gunna put some excuse here...
Fuck it.

So, any recommendations plus any Wi-Fi info for games. Go!
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Re: DS Topic

Postby Porter » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:27 pm

I have: (DNB - Do not buy, R - Recommended)

1) Brain Age - DNB
2) Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy - DNB
3) Professor Layton and the Curious Village - R
4) Nintendogs: Dalmation and Friends - DNB
5) Kirby Squeak Squad - R
6) Final Fantasy III - You have it and it kicks ass!
7) Mario and Sonic at the Olympics - DNB
8) Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - AWESOME!!!
9) Rune Factory - R
10) River King: Mystic Valley - R
11) Harvest Moon DS - R
12) Super Mario 64 DS - R
13) New Super Mario Bros. - R
14) Final Fantasy IV - RRRRRRRRRRRR <---that's right
15) Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - R
16) Space Invaders Extreme - R
17) Bubble Bobble Double Shot - DNB
18) Mario Kart DS - R
19) Mario Party DS - R

Upcoming releases:
Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness - Stylus farming, looks great!
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood - A good Sonic game? Looks like it. 3rd party.
Chrono Trigger DS - Nothing needed to say
Ninjatown - Hilarious tower defense game
Dragon Quest IV - Nothing needed to say
Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff - A new twist on the old classic
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:18 pm

Only DS game I've gotten recently is The World Ends With You, which was really good. Decent length, compared to the DS's lack of long games at least, and its almost all controlled by the stylus.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:25 pm

I guess I'll do the same.

1) Front Mission - The mecha alternate to FFT, it's the only "tactics" style game I've ever liked. The SNES version is one of my favorite games of all time, but knowing you, you've already played it.
2) New Super Mario Bros - This is seminal, buy it.
3) Mario Kart - I'm still Double Dash to the core, but get it just for the online functionality.
4) Super Mario 64 DS - Hate. HAET. Prompted me to make this image.
5) Metroid Prime Pinball - Not worth anything more than $5.
6) Animal Crossing: Wild World - Fun but wears out quickly.
7) Elite Beat Agents - Awesome rhythm game, may ruin your touchscreen.
8) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - I loooooove Castlevania. Get it.
9) Castelvania: Portrait of Ruin - More of the same? If it's Castlevania... FUCK YES.
10) The World Ends With You - Decent and unique RPG with a cool battle system.
11) Yoshi's Touch And Go - Ummm... guilty pleasure. I got it for 5 bucks, so whatever.
12) Pokemon Diamond - You already have Pearl, same thing. We should have a pokeymans battle.
13) Metroid Prime Hunters - The single player is criminally retarded, but if you want to get the most out of wifi, it's more or less essential. I only played online a few times right when it came out, so I imagine nowadays everyone uses cheesy strategies and 1 character over and over.
14) Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Decent enough, but FW/AW will forever be inferior to Fire Emblem. I'd wait for that, instead.
15) Lunar Knights - Sort of fun until you have to grind yourself retarded (stolen phrase). Awesome music.

Upcoming
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Castlevania fuck yes. Hawt female protagonist fuck yes.
Fire Emblem DS - It would be unspeakably criminal if Nintendo didn't translate this, but I wouldn't put it past them. Still, it's got a good chance.
Chrono Trigger - They better add some good extras, otherwise yawn.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby MusashiEX » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:29 am

The World Ends With You
FFIV
Advance Wars: Days Of Ruin
Castlevania: Dawn Of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
New Super Mario Bros
Hotel Dusk
Trauma Center

Oh, I forgot Professor Layton.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Fitz Tayo » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:39 am

Just ordered the new Kirby Squeak Squad, though it's Mouse Attack or something over here, The World Ends With You and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. I won't be getting the new Chrono Trigger DS unless they actually do something with this remake. And I've never been a fan of Final Fantasy IV, I played it too late after the ones I consider to be great (V, VI and IX). I've already completed the New Super Mario Bros on my friends DS and the Elite Beat Agents. And I hated the GBA FFT, so I won't be getting the second one.

Unfortunately Rune Factory isn't out here till November, which I would've bought. I'll be looking into the Front Mission, Mana and Castelvania games to come. And probs Fire Emblem when it's released. Who knows, I gots me moneys to waste anyway.
<@Jeramyu> videogames are art and I will buttsex anyone who disagrees
Fitz Tayo
S4 Corlyn

Postby Impossible » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:57 am

Ew, Kirby Squeak Squad is crap. It's a dull rehash of past Kirby games before it, only with all the life and originality sucked out, utterly bland level design, and a terrible touch screen mechanic. And it basically rips all its graphics and music from the GBA games. It's a cheap cash-in. Kirby Canvas Curse is the real DS Kirby game. It's awesome, and it was made by HAL, not outsourced like Squeak Squad.

And Kirby Super Star Ultra is just going to be godly.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:51 am

Impossible wrote:And Kirby Super Star Ultra is just going to be godly.

Just looked this up, and I must say, it's about goddamn time they returned to the Kirby that kicks ass. Nightmare in Dreamland for GBA (never played amazing mirror) pissed me off so badly I wanted to chuck the cartridge in a woodchiper. Kirby's Adventure for the NES is one of my most treasured games, and Nightmare in Dreamland took it through the fucking Megaman 7 machine and made the sprites way too big, and over-obsessed with animation to the point it took Kirby like 10 minutes to turn around. Not to mention the music sounded grainy and underwhelming. The final boss tune in Adventure was awesome and badass, and they fucked it over so bad in Nightmare.

And finally, more than 10 years later they're finally remembering that Super Star was everyone's favorite. I know Kirby's always going to be cutesy no matter what, but at least Super Star made this awesome juxtaposition with this pink marshmallow taking down Mechanical Lobsters and heavily armed flying battleships, and wrecking the innards of a giant space being to awesome industrial techno. And the fucking RPG battles, Super Star had a sense of humor too. But I'm ultra pensive about Ultra, knowing what they did to Adventure, since it's a remake and not a port. If they were just going to port it and use that engine to make more scenarios that'd be prime, but now I'll bet they'll find a way to ruin one of the best SNES platformers of all time.
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Impossible » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:06 am

The final boss tune in Adventure was awesome and badass, and they fucked it over so bad in Nightmare.

On the bright side, NiD had the Fountain of Dreams music, basically a beepified version of the SSBM track.

KatAM was probably the closest Flagship (who are much, much better at Zelda games than at Kirby games, but even their 2D Zelda pales in comparison to Nintendo's) came to a good Kirby game, because there were actually traces of originality. I haven't played it a lot, but there were some cool aspects. Squeak Squad just takes EVERYTHING from NiD and KatAM, except the decent level design, and mangles it together into a generic platformer. Not to mention that it defiles the acronym of the almighty Kirby Super Star.

Canvas Curse is the only Kirby game I liked as much as KSS, so I'm pissed off that after that one great game, they went back to outsourcing. They needed to do a sequel to that SO MUCH, just to expand on the mechanics and make more use of copy abilities. The first game was a bit too short. I think Squeak Squad sold better, but come on, look at the userbase of the DS between the two. KCC2 could hit a million just as well as KSqSq did, except it wouldn't suck.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:44 am

Canvas Curse was one of my first DS game, very fun, especially the final levels. Really short though.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Impossible » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:04 am

Yeah, hence the need for a sequel.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby tulleh » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:05 am

I was annoyed that HM:DS would be using BtN and FoMT graphics, was getting tired of them :(
tulleh
Plyn

Postby Impossible » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:10 pm

HMDS is utter fail, Rune Factory is the real DS Harvest Moon.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby Porter » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:11 pm

Island of Happiness next week :P :P :mrgreen: :D :D
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby [Gaius] » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:08 pm

I was going to recommend a few but you already stated you weren't going to get them.
However when you finish FFTA, I highly recommend the second. Advance wars Days of Ruin is good too, as well as Animal crossing: wild world.

I'm going to get Fire Emblem DS too, as well as the new kingdom hearts one when it comes out.
Spreading the truth about The Way...
[Gaius]
Wanderer

Next

Return to Gaming