DSi

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

DSi

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:03 am

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/10/nintendo_dsi_adds_camera_larger_screen-2.html

No GBA slot is ghey, all the other functions it has can be done with a flashcard except for the camera. Which is shit anyway. Just use a real camera or a phone. It would be great if they actually used it for games but i doubt it as the gamers with the ds or ds lite will miss out.

I'm gonna buy a backup DS lite before this shit replaces it.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Re: DSi

Postby Sling » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:49 am

Isn't that the current trend amongst technology companies? Release newer versions of items that have flashy but useless functions whilst removing "older" features that are usually the only redeeming features.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:32 pm

well, one way to look at it is now that theres a SD slot in the DS its probably not gonna be long before you can just run roms off it.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby CJ » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:49 am

Yeah but the DSi won't natively run GBA games which means they'd have to resort to emulation. Would the DS powerful enough to emulate a GBA? it takes quite a bit of power to emulate the GBA.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby MusashiEX » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:01 pm

The DS is not powerful enough to run GBA games. Seriously. Not enough RAM. The way that GBA games were emulated in current DS is with a RAM pack (kind of like the one that comes with the DS browser) in the GBA slot or with an actual GBA cart.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:33 pm

Since the DSi now has the browser built in wouldn't that mean it has more RAM then before?
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby CJ » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:35 pm

MusashiEX wrote:The DS is not powerful enough to run GBA games. Seriously. Not enough RAM. The way that GBA games were emulated in current DS is with a RAM pack (kind of like the one that comes with the DS browser) in the GBA slot or with an actual GBA cart.

I thought that the Slot-1 cards used a passthrough that plugs into slot-2 to use the GBA hardware already on the ds in order to run GBA roms.

Well unless that slot 2 gba thing you get with the M3 Real is actually that ram expansion you're talking about.

Sage Of The Wise wrote:Since the DSi now has the browser built in wouldn't that mean it has more RAM then before?

If the DS used a passthrough, then the ram boost might not help much.

But then again I don't know too much about booting GBA games without Slot-2. I use an M3 perfect lite in my slot-2 to boot my gba games.
I guess I could try booting them from my Acekard 2 Because i'm pretty sure that the m3 lite also acts as a 32mb ram expansion.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Impossible » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:27 am

The DS is not powerful enough to run GBA games. Seriously. Not enough RAM. The way that GBA games were emulated in current DS is with a RAM pack (kind of like the one that comes with the DS browser) in the GBA slot or with an actual GBA cart.

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down a second there. Do you even OWN a DS? It has a GBA processor in it. It doesn't emulate them. There's no RAM involved. It sure as hell is powerful enough to run GBA games, considering it has the exact same processor along with its own. Which, incidentally, makes the removal of the GBA slot from the DSi a dumbassed rip-off. THE HARDWARE IS STILL IN THERE. They can't remove the ARM7, they're just not letting us use it for GBA games. Considering that reduction in functionality, it should be cheaper, if anything.

The DSi does have much more RAM than the Lite, though. The browser and other stuff will be using it. Plus it has internal memory, about damn time.
Impossible
S2 Deralyn

Postby MusashiEX » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:14 am

Impossible wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down a second there. Do you even OWN a DS? It has a GBA processor in it. It doesn't emulate them. There's no RAM involved. It sure as hell is powerful enough to run GBA games, considering it has the exact same processor along with its own. Which, incidentally, makes the removal of the GBA slot from the DSi a dumbassed rip-off. THE HARDWARE IS STILL IN THERE. They can't remove the ARM7, they're just not letting us use it for GBA games. Considering that reduction in functionality, it should be cheaper, if anything.

The DSi does have much more RAM than the Lite, though. The browser and other stuff will be using it. Plus it has internal memory, about damn time.

Too bad it can only be accessed from Slot 2.
Impossible wrote:Isn't YOUR MOTHER a comment?
MusashiEX
S5 Hilyn

Postby JJK » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:30 pm

actual people draw entertainment from these devices?!
"Oh well," McWatt would sing, "what the hell."
JJK
Wanderer

Return to Gaming