Games I Actually Give A Shit About

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: Games I Actually Give A Shit About

Postby Forerunner » Tue May 10, 2011 2:10 am

I've heard Red Dead Redemption is pretty good, how's it play?
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Tue May 10, 2011 11:14 am

Forerunner wrote:I've heard Red Dead Redemption is pretty good, how's it play?

I haven't gotten round to playing it yet, although I have seen my friend Rooz playing it, at looks fucking amazing.

The DLC for GTA IV was pretty fucking good too, better than the main game. In the Lost and Damned, you get a fully automatic shotgun and in The Ballad of Gay Tony you get a semi-auto AA-12 shotgun that fires frag rounds. You also can get an APC and an armed helicopter.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:00 am

Just completed Red Dead Redemption and am currently playing Undead Nightmare. Very quality games. I have also completed Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I also got three tactical nukes on MW2 over the summer.

Game wise, I have bought a PS3 and gotten God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Quantum of Solace. I plan on getting more, but the main reason I got a PS3 was so I could watch the Star Wars films on Blu Ray... although with the 'changes' I am not sure I will enjoy it as much. I have also pre-ordered about £300 worth of upcoming games:
Halo 4
Halo Anniversary Edition
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid Rising
Goldeneye Reloaded
Modern Warfare 3
Gears of War 3
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Final Fantasy XIII-2

I also plan on getting Final Fantasy versus XIII when it is finally released.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Kcrazy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:33 pm

Big fan of the Assassin's Creed series, just recently finished up Brotherhood only leaving three achievements. About to finally make my way on Mass Effect 2, which should tide me over to Arkham City.

Surprised you don't have Skyrim on that list of preorders.
Kcrazy
S1 Hilyn

Postby Sling » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:15 pm

I haven't played Oblivion yet. I've had to cancel some pre-orders, since I paid £500 to have a new PC built. I'll buy them next year probably.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Forerunner » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:34 pm

I give a massive shit about star wars, but currently have mixed feelings about The Old Republic. It's almost like they threw a new set of graphics over WoW and gave everyone lightsabres. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed it so far, but it does feel like it doesn't really add anything new to the table as far as MMORPG's go.

Also, why was there no massive influx of posts about Skyrim when it came out? I don't believe you guys didn't play it.

EDIT:
FF13-2, better than 13, much better infact. But still uses autobattle. Which is big enough of a downside to make it worse than every other final fantasy.
Halo Anniversary, Loved it. But I am a bit of a Halo fanboy. Being able to switch between the new graphics and the old graphics at will was a nice touch, I watched the flimclips in new graphics to see what they were like, but couldn't resist actually playing the game with the old graphics. On that note: they fucked up captain keyes face hard with the new graphics. The Bandana skull is the most fun I've EVER had in a Halo game, and the stories the terminals tell are interesting.

I like Assassins Creed, but tend to wait until the prices drop to $40 before I buy them, so I still don't know what Revelations is like, but I am looking forward to it. Mass Effect 3 just came out, the demo disappointed me enough that I haven't bought it yet, but intend to eventually.
As for games coming out that look good, I've been fairly off the radar lately so the only ones that come to mind right now are: Halo 4, Borderlands 2, and FF versus 13.
Black-Cat wrote:Only the ones with egos made of steel can withstand the scourge of emotional deterioration often referred to as "having no life".
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:15 am

I finally bit the bullet and got MW3. Not too bad as far as FPS go. I liked the campaign, the Specs Ops were good, the new survival mode is a pretty good addition. With multiplayer I have mixed feelings. I like a lot of the new weapons, the new maps, and game modes, but so far I'm not sold on the new system. I definitely preferred some of the MW2 perks and killstreaks. I like how your weapon "gains levels" in order to unlock new attachments though. I can't really put my finger on what else I find uncomfortable, so it might just be Jamais Vu. The only thing I know I hated was the fact that two of the Spec Ops were two-player only. I also bought Battlefield 3, which is really fun, but I am not very good at it. Oh, and there is a new Medal of Honor game in the works!

Started playing Final Fantasy XIII-2, and it is so far been really good and fun to play. It has a certain level of intrigue and mystery about it as I play, which I like, and it seems vaguely reminiscent of something I can't quite put my finger on. I also started playing Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection, and so far the graphics seem a little... odd. That and I am pissed off they didn't include the first MGS game in it along with MGS2 and MGS3, but instead included some other game I have never heard of called Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. I have yet to play Assassin's Creed: Revelations though. I also recently just ordered Skyrim, Halo CE: Anniversary and Goldeneye Reloaded.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:08 am

I got around to playing Skyrim recently, its pretty fun. Nothing amazing, but its one of those games I'll probably end up picking back up once every month or two for a long time. My roommate got Kingdoms of Amalur and it just looks better in almost every category. Most of my Skyrim time is spent wishing it was Amalur. As for what I'm looking forward too, I'm basically living and breathing Guild Wars 2 right now, its like a disease. I've been following it relentlessly for 5 years now and its release is so close now I'm going to snap soon.

I like Assassins Creed, but tend to wait until the prices drop to $40 before I buy them, so I still don't know what Revelations is like, but I am looking forward to it.

I know it was $30 for a bit on steam, not sure if it's still the case.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Speaking of game prices, Skyrim was of £55 when it was first released, but I managed to bag it for £35.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:55 pm

I also went ahead and bought a year's worth of Call of Duty: Elite for 4000 microsoft points. According to the hype, you get 20 or so pieces of DLC delivered over a 9 month period. I played the new Spec Op missions and they are pretty good, although I have yet to play survival mode on the new maps yet. The survival mode on MW3 is surprisingly addictive. You are basically pitted against never ending waves of enemies of increasing difficulty, on any of the multiplayer maps. The maps are also grouped according to difficulty. Easy, Regular, Hard, and Insane. I got to the 30th round on the first Easy map, whereas on Insane I got to the level 19 for one level.

Oh, and speaking of FPS, the next Medal of Honor game has been announced, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, which is a direct sequel to the 2010 Medal of Honor, which was a really, really good game. I also recently finally got the Fire Controller achievement for said Medal of Honor, whereby you have to obtain every offensive support action at least once. I finally got it on a game of Combat Mission, on the Helmand Valley map as the US. Basically, be the sniper class, use the bolt action sniper rifle with range-finder, open-tip ammo, and the high-power scope, camp, and hope the enemy snipers aren't very good. I went 57-2. I wouldn't have died at all had it not been for some guy who made it his mission to kill me who either somehow got by my entire team, or else waited at one of the objective spots after my team had captured it, and crept up behind me and killed me, and then killed me again whilst I was trying to find him. I killed him after that though.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:51 am

Sage Of The Wise wrote:I got around to playing Skyrim recently, its pretty fun. Nothing amazing, but its one of those games I'll probably end up picking back up once every month or two for a long time. My roommate got Kingdoms of Amalur and it just looks better in almost every category. Most of my Skyrim time is spent wishing it was Amalur. As for what I'm looking forward too, I'm basically living and breathing Guild Wars 2 right now, its like a disease. I've been following it relentlessly for 5 years now and its release is so close now I'm going to snap soon.

I like Assassins Creed, but tend to wait until the prices drop to $40 before I buy them, so I still don't know what Revelations is like, but I am looking forward to it.

I know it was $30 for a bit on steam, not sure if it's still the case.

Currently $80 on Steam.

Even though the Australian Steam store lists everything in USD, we still get charged ridiculous amounts for our games sadly, which is why a lot of us import our games.
oh yeah by the way. Doovy & Co. are not gone. After all... I am Doovy and Forunner is still here.
CJ
S4 Hilyn

Postby Forerunner » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:32 am

Sage Of The Wise wrote:I got around to playing Skyrim recently, its pretty fun. Nothing amazing, but its one of those games I'll probably end up picking back up once every month or two for a long time. My roommate got Kingdoms of Amalur and it just looks better in almost every category. Most of my Skyrim time is spent wishing it was Amalur.

With Morrowind and Oblivion I spent a few weeks playing them, got distracted, then came back to them a few months later and couldn't put them down. Not so with Skyrim. It envelopes you quickly, then you finish the game once or twice and it doesn't feel special enough to go back for more gametime. I've been trying to figure out why, what is it missing that the other elder scrolls had, but alas, have gotten nowhere.
Kingdoms of Amalur is the RPG R.A. Salvatore worked on isn't it? That's enough to make me interested, plus a lot of people have been saying it's good. What was it about it that grabbed your interest?

Sling wrote:Started playing Final Fantasy XIII-2, and it is so far been really good and fun to play. It has a certain level of intrigue and mystery about it as I play, which I like, and it seems vaguely reminiscent of something I can't quite put my finger on.

I think it's amusing that it's storyline, in which you travel through different areas in different times in different orders trying to figure shit out, is a lot easier to follow than FF13's xD
I honestly think I wouldn't have bothered buying it, until I saw the party-monster system. Best addition to the game IMO. It's pissing me off right now though, getting enough mana crystals to max out Lightning is a slow process, and I have ever single fragment except the one for having a full bestiary, which is also an extremely slow process.
Forerunner
S2 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:17 pm

Kingdoms of Amalur is the RPG R.A. Salvatore worked on isn't it? That's enough to make me interested, plus a lot of people have been saying it's good. What was it about it that grabbed your interest?

I've always felt open world rpg's were lacking in the combat department, and from what I've seen and played so far Amalur's is really good. Also seems like it has a tighter and more focused story than most open world rpg's, granted at the loss of some of its openness, but personally I prefer that. Some smaller things like level up rewards looking much more rewarding than just 'one armed sword damage +10%!'. Theres a demo on Steam, which is what really sold me on it, though most people seem to advise to avoid the demo, because of a bunch of glitches in it not in the actual game, and it apparently not well representing the game in general. Personally I only problem I had is there's a graphical problem with ATI graphics cards, but it has an easy fix.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Sling » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:02 pm

I've been playing Goldeneye 007: Reloaded extensively and is was a massive let down. It was a relatively good game, but it is virtually nothing like the original. None of the original weapons, all of the maps have been changed, and there has been a MASSIVE re-working of the plot as well as the order of the missions. Some levels have been put out of place, and others have been cut out. Some of the locations are different, and they have even added levels not even in the movie. Also, Bond is portrayed by Daniel Craig, not Pierce Brosnan, and all the original actors (with the sole exception of Judi Dench) have been replaced. To make matters worse, several characters, including Boris, have been left out. The multiplayer is fun, but is dead. Either that, or the matchmaking software/system is terrible. It has a bunch of spec ops style missions called MI6 ops, some of which are good, but are too repetitive in that they consist of playing the same three missions on different maps (apart from the last one which is different.) The stealth missions are good, and the assault mission is fun too, but all the defence an assault missions are boring as hell and a pain to four star. It also has multiplayer only achievements, which annoys me. I'd give it a 2 out of 5... or a 4.5 out of 10.

Oh yeah, and the final fight against Trevelyan is an absolute arse ache on the hardest difficulty. Not only do you have to get to the console room, fighting through hordes of enemies with better aim than FPS Russia, but you only have 2 minutes to do so... and you have a solar beam constantly taking out walkways as you make your way forward... and there are little explodey things all over the walkways that take one hit to explode and insta-kill you if you are anywhere near them when they go. Then there is a series of QTEs, an extended gun battle, and then some more QTEs. The only way to win the gun battle it is to shoot him until he summons henchman, then hide in a corner with a shotgun and wait for them to come to you. Then when they die, repeat until he runs away and the elevator to the final area unlocks, and by that time your hands are so knackered from the doubtless hours spent trying to complete the gun battle that you can't do the QTEs right. Even on the easiest difficulty it took a good half an hour from all the failed attempts at winning the gun battle.

I've been playing more Final Fantasy XIII-2, and it is definitely shaping up into a very worthwhile game. The story so far is very intriguing and mysterious. One thing that is good is that if the party leader dies then it isn't game over like it is in FFXIII. FFXIII-2 is so far very fun and enthralling, and the music in particular is very captivating. At least that is my impression so far. I am kind of stuck against the first battle with Caius Ballad at Oerba, and I expect I will have to grind a bit. Actually, that is another good feature. There is no level-cap. The most annoying thing about FFXIII was to spend hours grinding only to realise you couldn't spend all your CP until you got the next Crystarium expansion... which more often than not occurred after a particularly difficult boss fight that you were grinding up to fight against anyway.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Well, I've been playing Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, which consists of MGS2, MGS3, and MGS: Peace Walker. I was initially annoyed MGS1 was not included, but when I started playing Peace Walker, I found that it was a really good game. Although I can tell I am playing a PSP port, rather than a game originally designed for an actual console.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming