RPG Maker games - your favorites?

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

RPG Maker games - your favorites?

Postby Beldarius » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:09 am

I've become an RM junkie over the years and constantly keep looking for new stuff to play. So far I've discovered around 20+ favorites that I play all over again.

1. Laxius Power series - these were the ones that actually started me on this path. They're quite fun with hilarious dialogue, a crapload of well fleshed-out characters and a somewhat complex and expansive plot.
2. Master of the Wind - very well-written story, fun puzzles/minigames and interesting characters. This is one of the few games where watching a 45-minute cutscene doesn't get boring at all (it's like reading a good book). In my opinion, this is the only RPG Maker game that is on par with The Way. ...I'd be scared to find out what would happen if Lun, Volrath and ArtBane combined forces.
3. Love and War - I only managed to finish this game a year ago (I think I gave up on it when I was still a newbie since I couldn't beat a pair of wolves?). I'm now waiting for the second installment in the series... in the meanwhile, I'll play the revamp and fangirl since they have voice-acting now. ...Ryan sounds a bit deep, but what the hell. He's British. I love British accents.
4. The Longing Ribbon - the best RPG Maker horror game I've played so far. It's really bizarre and I honestly don't understand a lot of what's going on... but I guess that's what makes horror games so interesting. XD
5. The Book of Three - I love how closely this game follows the original book. Each time I play it, I have to start re-reading the Chronicles of Prydain. The nostalgia... I wish someone made a game based on David Eddings' Belgariad/Malloreon or Elenium/Tamuli series. Or Janny Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow (now THIS would make an epic game).
6. Everlong - I remember this game getting pretty hard toward the end, but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Beating that witch was a pain in the arse, though. The minigames. *headdesk*
7. Legionwood - I think they updated this? I need to play it again - it was fun, even though I got killed in the plains nearly all the time. XD
8. Götterdämmerung - even though the demo is very short, I like this game already. Post-apocalyptic game with technology being rare? WITHOUT everything around you looking like high-tech all the damn time? ...Getting vibes of Trinity Blood here...
9. Lucid Awakening - my only complaint about this game is, it's a bit too easy. :\ Though I guess it's not such a bad thing since I hate hard battles. XD
10. Amulet of Athos - I can't wait to play the full version of this game. The demo just seems very good.
11. Bloodsphere - also a very good game and I'm looking forward to the full version.
12. Ahriman's Prophecy - peculiar fighting system. Took me a while to get used to, but it got easy once you knew what to do.
13. Ara Fell - I honestly wonder if the new version of this game will ever be released... I already liked the short vampire story, but I'd love to play the new one...
14. The Legend of the Philosopher's Stone - I can't stop laughing at some of the dialogue. Especially pretty much everything Fausto comes up with (like that library scene - it's pure gold).
15. Romancing Walker - to think someone was able to make a dating sim with such limited resources.
16. Legion Saga - I hadn't even heard of Suikoden before trying this. I've played all three games and liked all of them.
17. Exit Fate - this is a bit harder to play, but it resembles the Suikoden franchise more closely.
18. Last Scenario - by the same people who made Exit Fate. I think the guy in black with the axe is my favorite character... Ethan, was it? I want his hat. xD
19. Lost Legacy: an Animania Story - first time I've seen characters from Slayers and Final Fantasy in the same game. Weird little group, but whatever (Lina owns everything with her spells, especially the fire-based ones XD).
20. Astral Transparency: Cole's Gate - looking forward to the full version. This game has some amazing character art. The plot doesn't seem too boring, either - and the villain? He's just downright weird and creepy... while looking like an angel.
21. Vacant Sky Vol. 1: Contention - I don't actually remember much about this game. I remember liking it a lot, though. Time for a replay, I guess.
22. Castle Chase - ahem. I'm a girl. >.> Though I don't actually go for most of the guys in this game. XD I had my sights on Aydin since the beginning.
23. Tales of the Drunken Paladin - let's just say this game is pure wtf. Freakin' Palmer. ...Albert is probably my favorite character, he's very expressive for a mute (then again, he isn't really mute so yeah...).
24. Final Fantasy: Time and Again - I think I remember this game having a voice-acted introduction? Quite the fun game, and I can NEVER get over that scene where Kain gets drunk on dwarf booze. XD

PS. And obviously The Way and Three the Hard Way. I think I've played A Blurred Line, but I can't remember anything about it. There are several other games, but I can't remember their names for the life of me.
*points at her avatar* In case you're curious, this guy is Tetsuya Onodera from Super Robot Wars OG. He's the vice-captain of Space Noah class battleship Hagane and my favorite character in the games (alongside Gilliam Yeager).
Beldarius
Wanderer

Re: RPG Maker games - your favorites?

Postby EmperorJeramyu » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:05 pm

I once made a page for a bunch of good/bad/interesting RPG maker games. Eventually gave up when I couldn't find download links for all of then. Oh well, here's some of the Classics/ones I liked a bit/have at least a bit of novelty to them, ranked vaguely in order:

• The Way
  • Three The Hard Way
  • Demon Legacy
  • Love and War
  • A Blurred Line
  • Crestfallen Inception(s)
  • Dragon Destiny
  • Descendant of Truth
  • cRaZy_gUy's Journey
  • Desert Nightmare
  • .flow
  • Yume Nikki
  • Saga: The Rise and Fall of Greaja
  • Final Fallacy
  • Dementia Praecox
  • Kindred Saga
  • Idunn Ymiraldor
  • Legacies of Dondoran
  • Nigsek: A Monster's Tale
  • Jay's Journey
  • The Eternal Struggle
"Unfortunately, the dragon only speaks in Napalm, a curious ancient language that you don't really need to speak to understand."
EmperorJeramyu
Blana Sera

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:34 am

Ah lets see, which ones can I think of. The Way, Three The Hard Way, A Blurred Line (even though I guess really at this point all i do is insult and criticize it), The Frozen World, Jay's Journey, Sunset Over Imdahl, Abstract Paroxysm is probably the best demo that never went anywhere, as well as the worlds most pretentious game name Nigsek probably deserves a mention despite the fact I hardly managed to play it between how bugged it was back then and how I didn't realize it was non-linear. Has any other rm2k ever had cgi cut scenes?

Of course, none of these can hold a candle to the best, the original, Don's Adventure!
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby War » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:56 am

1. The Way
2. Three the Hard Way
3. Sunset Over Imdahl
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Beldarius » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Beldarius wrote:Or Janny Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow (now THIS would make an epic game).

Reading The Wars of Light and Shadow, I just realized something. ...Arithon s'Ffalenn (the main character) is like a combination of Rhue and Slade.

- He's aloof, rude and expressionless and doesn't really show reaction to pain. (Slade)
- He tries to suicide often. (Slade)
- Hates being around people. (Slade)
- Magic sword thingy (nearly a lightsaber, plus it even has a name - Alithiel). (Rhue)
- Doesn't really want to hurt people, but get him pissed and he will berserk on you. (Rhue)
- Would rather do the right thing than "be big and important". (Rhue, since he doesn't want to win the tournament to gain fame like Strata does. Slade, seeing as how he does NOT want a council position.)
- He leaves a trail of orphaned, dead and imprisoned comrades behind him. (Rhue, Slade)
* Though unlike Rhue, Arithon is actually incredibly intelligent. He devises several different schemes and plots during the series (more of a Traziun/Gaius trait).
* Arithon's also called Master of Shadow and he's actually capable of creating shadows. ...Slade's a Shadow Foot and even if he doesn't have shadow magic, they both at least have "shadow" in their title... (And Rhue's got a Shadow Sword? Yeah...)

------------------------------

Arithon's half-brother Lysaer has traces of Traziun and the Guided in him.

- Had an evil father who was a dick to his mother. (Traziun)
- Charismatic and beloved by many. (Traziun)
- Thinks he's some sort of Messiah. (the Guided)
- Acts like a Knight Templar all the time. (the Guided)
- Well-intentioned extremist. (the Guided)

Davien the Betrayer... huh. A bit of Sacrifa in there?

- "Evil" sorcerer who overthrew some kings, but his motivations were actually far from evil.
- Is now a discorporate ghost due to what he did.

...Now I can be sure I'll get The Way vibes every time I read these books... not to mention Wars of Light and Shadow is pretty famous for having "a gray view of the world". In this series, nobody is strictly good or evil - just like in The Way, all characters have qualities of both in them.

Still need to see if I can find a Gaius character in WoLaS. XD
*points at her avatar* In case you're curious, this guy is Tetsuya Onodera from Super Robot Wars OG. He's the vice-captain of Space Noah class battleship Hagane and my favorite character in the games (alongside Gilliam Yeager).
Beldarius
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:01 pm

I just had a great (read: terrible) idea of us doing some kinda book club style play through of old rm2k games.

Now excuse me while I contemplate my sad existence.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Beldarius » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:24 am

I actually wouldn't mind doing something like that. XD Starting with TTHW could be fun, I haven't played that in ages.

Doing a playthrough of newer games wouldn't hurt, either. Master of the Wind is pretty epic and it could very well be The Way's successor as far as complex, well-made nostalgia games go.
Beldarius
Wanderer

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:22 pm

Probably want to stick to ones shorter than TTHW honestly.
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Beldarius » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:12 am

Hm. The Book of Three is reasonably short, though it's exactly like the book- oh, wait. Playing the game would also serve as an ACTUAL book club reading. o_O Wow.
Beldarius
Wanderer

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Sage, I've got another game to send you if you ever end up in IRC while I'm there. Now if only I could find Fitz.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sage Of The Wise » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:47 pm

I'll have to get around to redownloading irc sometime soon I guess. I haven't been on in years, is the channel info on the main page even accurate anymore?
Sage Of The Wise
S3 Deralyn

Postby Beldarius » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:00 pm

I just discovered "The Way" references in Legionwood: Tale of the Two Swords. XD In Charn, the first big city in the game, there are two tombstones... if you read them, they say:

"In memory of Arila. A sacrifice for the greater good. We will always miss you. Passed away tragically on the 14th of Rhue, 2589."
"R.I.P Harke. If he had not gambled away our money we could have afforded a better gravestone. Died 23rd Traziun 2602, aged 54."

:lol:
Beldarius
Wanderer

Postby Strayed Wanderer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Yes, Sage. Still espernet.
Strayed Wanderer
S4 Corlyn

Postby Porter » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:36 pm

The Way
Crestfallens
Dreamer
Dragon Kingdoms
Porter
S4 Corlyn

Postby Sling » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:45 pm

The Way
Sunset Over Imdahl
Grave Spirit
Three The Hard Way
Love and War

Extrenia: The Messiah was good, but was never finished to my knowledge.
In this day and age, an era where there are people who actually throw shit at each other, anything, could be possible.
Sling
S5 Corlyn

Next

Return to Gaming