RPG Maker games - your favorites?

Talk about gaming!

Moderators: Porter, EmperorJeramyu, Telephalsion

Re: RPG Maker games - your favorites?

Postby Preki » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:33 pm

1. The Way
Obviously, if it weren't for this game, I wouldn't be here in the first place.

2. Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis
A brilliant RM2k3 side-scrolling sci-fi RPG with strong anime feel to it and a very tactical battle system, plus lots of bonus post-game content. From the technical point of view this game is even better made than The Way, though it lacks in story department, but it's still a good one. I mean, it's more straightforward and MUCH less mindscrewing than The Way is while having interesting characters to boot. Oh, and one bonus location is nightmare fuel incarnate... Definitely worth checking out.

3. Alter A.I.L.A.
The original game, which Genesis mentioned above is a remake of. A good game too, but much less balanced and forces you to go through three not-so-different story routes. Also has traditional top-down view instead of side-view introduced in the remake. Both original game and Genesis are one of the games that inspired my own current project.

4. Legion Saga Trilogy
No need to mention, another RPG Maker classic, though I'd like to say - the second game is the best for me. Just your everyday RPG Maker game, but not overloaded with gimmicks like the third one and not rudimentary and RTP-ish as the first entry in the series. Shame its action-RPG spin-off Curse of Silence got cancelled.

5. A Blurred Line
Another sci-fi title and yet another classic. I enjoyed the story, though the game should have been polished from visual and technical point of view. And I love the opening to this game. A big minus point goes to Lysander for not finishing Line's End! I'd like to know what happened next, dammit!

PS.
Sweet flaming lands, it's been nearly ten years since I've been there. In 2007, when I played The Way for the first time I was 17 years old secondary school student, now I'm 26 - gone through English course at the college, earning a bachelor's degree and CAE certificate. And here I am - with my English vastly improved, partially thanks to The Way, no less! And after nearly a decade I don't wanna see my old posts from 2007-2008, because my eyeballs would melt at the sight of really poor Engrish I used back then :P

PS.2
I do realize this forum is quite dead these days, but on the contrary, there still are some people who post here. So why shouldn't I, huh?
Preki
Plyn

Postby War » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:04 pm

I have a tread going on in the super secret subform with only me posting in it and it has been going on for about 7 years now.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby War » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:05 pm

Also you should try Sunset over imdahl. Possibly the best RPG maker 2000 game ever made.
<WarV> You know what this place needs?
<Strayed> hookers?
<@Jeramyu> boobs?
<WarV> How about hookers WITH boobs!
<Strayed> I don't like fat guys.
War
S3 Corlyn

Postby Beldarius » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:59 am

I remember loving Sunset Over Imdahl, but IIRC it had a pretty depressing ending. XD

...I should really replay most of the games on my list. I haven't played any of them for years, except MotW, LaW and Götterdämmerung...

...Oh yeah, Götterdämmerung finally got fully released. It's INCREDIBLE. The creator animated the sprites of Russian soldiers so they danced Cossack dances across the screen. XD And a Russian officer throws his hat at you after you disrupt his drills (that hat is a piece of armor...). You can find borscht soup in chests (HOW?!). There's a group of hooded dudes chanting Latin by a bonfire, and they turn out to be sausage chefs perfecting a recipe. You can drive around in a jeep while a nurse in the backseat shoots stuff with a bazooka. The main character's attacks have him ride enemies over with a combine harvester, sic bees on them or drop a plow on one enemy. Sheena can slap enemies with a large trout. ...The funniest comments, weird enough, come from the ninja of the party...
*points at her avatar* In case you're curious, this guy is Tetsuya Onodera from Super Robot Wars OG. He's the vice-captain of Space Noah class battleship Hagane and my favorite character in the games (alongside Gilliam Yeager).
Beldarius
Wanderer

Previous

Return to Gaming